Jack White to Produce Jerry Lee Lewis Live Album

Jack White to Produce Jerry Lee Lewis Live Album

Postby tchr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:14 am

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/43471 ... live-album

In addition to a song off the latest Danger Mouse collaborative LP, Karen Elson’s new Lou Reed cover, and the first two White Stripes singles, Jack White’s Third Man Records have announced one more surprise for Record Store Day (April 16): Legendary Sun Records rocker Jerry Lee Lewis will perform at their Nashville stage for a live concert that will be recorded straight to tape, produced by White, and subsequently released by the label. What’s more, his backing band for the event includes Steve Cropper (Booker T & The MGs, various Stax records, etc.), the great Jim Keltner, who has played drums for Neil Young, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, and a slew of others, and Raconteurs/Greenhornes/Dead Weather bassist Jack Lawrence. Copies of Jerry Lee Lewis’ new live LP will be pressed and sold at the TMR shop within a few weeks following the concert.
tchr

Re: Jack White to Produce Jerry Lee Lewis Live Album

Postby tchr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 am

Jerry Lee Lewis headed to Third Man Records

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2011 ... n-records/

When Jack White plans a Record Store Day celebration, he really pulls out all the stops.

The April 16 shindig at White’s Third Man Records is scheduled to feature rock ‘n’ roll icon Jerry Lee Lewis, Lewis’ press folks announced Monday, and fans can expect a White-produced Lewis record to be made during the visit, too.

For the performance/recording, Lewis will be backed by an all-star band: legendary guitarist Steve Cropper and drummer Jim Keltner, with White’s Dead Weather/Raconteurs compatriot Jack Lawrence on bass. The recording is expected to go on sale within weeks of the event.

Other special Third Man treats planned for Record Store Day: a new single from Karen Elson, featuring a cover of Lou Reed’s “Vicious” backed with Elson original “In Trouble With the Lord” (the release will be on clear vinyl with hand-inserted, peach-colored rose petals locked inside); two White Stripes reissues — their first release, “Let’s Shake Hands”/”Look Me Over Closely,” and second, “Lafayette Blues”/”Sugar Never Tasted So Good”; and the debut offering from Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi’s Rome collaboration with Jack White and Norah Jones, “Two Against One” with “Black.” (Those Rome tunes will also appear on the full-length, due out May 17.)

Fans will be able to pick up those releases at Third Man and other independent record stores.

Jerry Lee Lewis’ show is set to close out Third Man’s Record Store Day celebration — doors open for that show at 4 p.m., the show beginning at 5. Tickets run $30, and are expected to go on sale at noon on Tuesday, April 5 via Third Man’s physical location in Nashville (623 7th Ave. S.) and at ThirdManRecords.com.

Third Man’s overall Record Store Day festivities begin at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 16.
tchr

Postby tchr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:28 am

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/04/j ... rformance/

Jack White taps Jerry Lee Lewis for Record Store Day performance

Jack White’s Record Store Day plans already have us salivating, but here’s something extra special for kids in Nashville. As part of the Record Store Day festivities (April 16th, in case you didn’t know), the legendary Jerry Lee Lewis will perform a special one-off concert at Third Man Records HQ in Nashville, TN. According to an issued press release, Lewis will be backed by an all-star band featuring Steve Cropper (guitarist of Booker T & The MGs), Jim Keltner (drummer for Bob Dylan, Neil Young), and Jack Lawrence (bassist of The Raconteurs & The Dead Weather). And as these things usually go, White will be recording the whole thing for a forthcoming release on Third Man Records.

Tickets will be $30 and are on sale tomorrow, 12 noon Tuesday, April 4th, at the Third Man HQ in Nashville and online. Doors will open 4pm and the show will begin at 5pm on Saturday, April 16th. As an added bonus, attendees of the concert will receive a Jerry Lee Lewis Live at Third Man limited edition black and blue vinyl edition. One wonders what RSD goodies Lewis will pick up for himself.
tchr

Postby bailbath » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 am

Wow that sounds excellent I wanna copy of that when it comes out!
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:15 am

bailbath wrote:Wow that sounds excellent I wanna copy of that when it comes out!
Ian

It does sound exciting, a new 'live' album, if he can be persuaded to sing some songs he doesn't perform every show nowadays and if the album is available worldwide.

A limited release album of the songs he includes in every show is of little interest, frankly.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Andrew McRae » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:47 pm

The fact that the regular road band isn't involved (though one trusts/imagines that Kenny may well be..?) perhaps augurs well for the possibilites that something other than the familiar stage set-list of recent times may emerge. No disrespect intended, of course, to the stage band, but this alternative line-up will perhaps be charged by Jack White with being more adventurous. On the face of it, this provides a real opportunity for doing something a bit special.

One hopes that at least a day or two is put aside for rehearsals between now and 16th April and that Steve Cropper is given license for some creative input, in which case we might just be treated to a few R&B classics that JLL is still more than capable of performing. The recent version of "Money" that was issued as a 'special' in connection with the Million Dollar Quartet show hints at the potential. I still don't understand why Steve Cropper wasn't involved in one or other of the LMS, LMS-Live, or MoM projects; he was the most notable 'absentee' of any stature who could have brought something special to those albums, and it's good to see him associated with this upcoming performance. So for the next two weeks I can dream again that JLL might even yet record "In The Midnight Hour"! And while we're at it, how about "Home In Your Heart" (an Otis Blackwell composition) as a tribute to the late Solomon Burke? Lewis and Cropper in tandem could nail that easily! Or at least raid the songbook of Big Joe Turner (the centenary of his birth is next month) for a bit of inspiration.

Andrew (....I'll wake up shortly!)
Andrew McRae

Postby Perk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Jack White seems to be a great guy. I read that he usually sends vinyl records to newsmagazines to review his stuff. He meant that it the magazine didn´t have grammofons (vinyl players) they were not worthy of doing a review ...haha!

The thing he did with Wanda Jackson recently was good i thought. So this will be very interesting if it happens.

Perk
Perk

Postby paperboy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Some examples here of Jack’s work with Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson http://www.stonesforum.nl/index.php?topic=109196.0

P.S. Also check out http://www.stonesforum.nl/index.php?topic=107902.180 (4032 views now!) :)
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

Postby richjohnson26 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Is this likely to be available online or in a form that can be ordered away from the gig venue?
richjohnson26

Postby chris morris » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 am

Like everyone else, I hope that the album doesn't just consist of the usual set-list. Still, sounds promising and the best Killer news for some time.My only other reservation is that the recent (studio) album by Wanda Jackson that Jack White produced was a huge disappointment in my opinion even though it got a lot of great reviews.

Chris
chris morris

Postby bluesinc. » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:31 am

If Jach White does something for Jerry then he should produce studio cuts. I can´t imagine that this will turn out as great as it´s announced. Jerry, at this stage now, with another band, hm... I will buy and I will listen to it but I don´t think it´ll be better than the Bonus to the LMS Live DVD.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby bailbath » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 pm

From Lee on Facebook-

Dad's getting ready for his show/album work this weekend! Wish I could make it out to Nashville to see him rock it and meet those of you that are going to be there, but I've got other things I need to do!

He's really looking forward to his live album and can't wait to lay those tracks down. Wish I could give you guys a preview of what will be on there, but my lips are sealed!

Keep on rockin,
Lee
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Logan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Is this a vinyl only release?
Logan

Postby richjohnson26 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:20 pm

This is my major concern. I want to know if, as a fan in the UK without any vinyl playing equipment, I'll be able to get a copy of this or whether you can only buy it on site and only on vinyl.
richjohnson26

Postby Perk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:45 pm

I guess we will find out eventually what media which will be available. I personally loves the idea of it being recorded analog, and then pressed onto vinyl. 100% sound! Yeah!
Perk

Next

Return to Discussions