05.02.11 Clear Lake

05.02.11 Clear Lake

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 am

JERRY LEE LEWIS
05.02.11 - Clear Lake, IA - Surf Ballroom
Last edited by wolfgangguhl on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfgangguhl

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:16 am

What date will it be cancelled? :evil:
peterchecksfield

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:26 pm

That's the Buddy Holly weekend. It'll be damn cold!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:That's the Buddy Holly weekend. It'll be damn cold!

Let's hope he's not flying there! :shock:
peterchecksfield

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:48 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:

It'll be a superb show if it goes ahead though. They often have fifties stars playing the festival but this will be the first time they'll have a major original I think. It's like when Little Richard did the Chippenham festival. I do hope it happens.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Rocky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:19 pm

From 1958 to 1965 Jerry played the Surf often...sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. I've been there and it's basically the same as it was in the 50s. 8x10 autographed photos of all the Stars who played there line a big wall. In recent years Jack Scott, Jason D. Williams, and Carl Perkins played there. Conway Twitty played regarly at the Surf from 1958 to 1965, and Fats Domino often played there.
Rocky

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Rocky wrote:From 1958 to 1965 Jerry played the Surf often...sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. I've been there and it's basically the same as it was in the 50s. 8x10 autographed photos of all the Stars who played there line a big wall. In recent years Jack Scott, Jason D. Williams, and Carl Perkins played there. Conway Twitty played regarly at the Surf from 1958 to 1965, and Fats Domino often played there.

I was there in Fen '07, Dale Hawkins, The Crickets and The Cleftones played. It's a Rock & Roll shrine, I saw Jerry's picture on the wall of fame.

Shit, if Jerry hadn't got such a bad record with cancelled shows I'd consider another visit there for Feb '11.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby jayhawks » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:19 am

peterchecksfield wrote:

:lol:
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby jayhawks » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYkhlbu5hc
Kevin Montgomery interviews Tommy Allsup in the dressing room of The Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa. Tommy explains the coin toss between he and Ritchie Valens, and goes on to critique the Buddy Holly movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7f0N1vc ... re=channel
Kevin Montgomery interviews Maria Elena Holly during Tommy Allsup show at the 50 Winters Later celebration....from The Surf Ballroom dressing room on January 29th, 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-rajh2 ... re=channel
Kevin Montgomery, Tommy Allsup, and Johnny Rogers perform at The Surf Ballroom for the 50 Winters Later week. Tommy was Buddy's guitar player, and became a part of rock 'n' roll folklore by famously flipping the coin with Ritchie Valens for his seat on the plane. Kevin's father was Buddy's first musical partner. Here they harken back to the days of Buddy and Bob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Fl7ady ... re=channel
The 50 Winters Later finale concert at the Surf Ballroom.......backstage footage, and concert footage as shot by a friend of Kevin Montgomery for his blog.
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:43 pm

*bump*
peterchecksfield

Re: 05.02.11 Clear Lake

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:51 am

SOLD OUT
wolfgangguhl

Postby thrund » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:07 am

http://www.globegazette.com/news/opinio ... 03286.html

.....And the grand finale Saturday when Jerry Lee Lewis headlines the program that also features Roy Head, Little Peggy March, The Fleetwoods, Kevin Montgomery and JD MacPherson......

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby bailbath » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:22 am

http://www.globegazette.com/entertainme ... 002e0.html

This year’s version of the event will feature a performance by the king of rockabilly, Jerry Lee Lewis.
The Winter Dance Party celebrates the music of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson.
The musicians and pilot Roger Peterson were killed when their plane crashed shortly after takeoff from the Mason City Municipal Airport on Feb. 3, 1959.
Lewis is scheduled to appear during the Saturday evening concert.
Lewis was one of the musicians who created rock ’n’ roll in Memphis, Tenn., at Sun Records in the 1950s, and at nearly 75 years of age is still going strong.
Lewis is still touted today as the “wild man” of rock ’n’ roll. He is best known for his piano-pounding hits from the late ’50s, including “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” and “Great Balls of Fire.”
In 1986, Lewis became one of the first to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame along with Holly, The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Elvis Presley.
Other featured acts tonight, Friday and Saturday are Gary Lewis & The Playboys, Flash Cadillac, Tommy Allsup, Sonny West, The Original Clovers, the Collins Kids, Little Peggy March, Roy Head and the Fleetwoods.
The three nights of concerts are sold out, but there are a number of related activities scheduled that have tickets available.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby thrund » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 am

From a FB group, passed to me via Peter Checksfield:

GREAT show tonight! Fleetwoods were great, Roy Head was fantastic, Peggy March was awesome.....Jerry Lee was supposed to do an hour but only did 30 min. I guess he has a cold so cut it short but most didn't mind. Pictures to follow in ...the next couple of days, though I did NOT take any of Jerry Lee (lost my spot by the stage) but might get some from a friend. FUN FUN FUN night!

Now, it seems it was a good show....hopefully more info and pics soon.

Thomas
thrund

Postby thrund » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:49 am

thrund

Next

Return to @Live